Friday, December 5, 2014

Watching TNG

Last year, I took on a few overnight shifts at my old job. This was at a group home, and my duties were to help disabled residents to the bathroom and guard the big screen TV. What would be on in the wee hours but re-runs of TNG?

I kept the volume extremely low, and so missed most of the dialogue. Not to mention the fact that I was barely awake. But I started to like Picard. His stiff body language indicated someone who delights in his own moral objections to things, like me.



So, I finally started on TNG today. Some on the Internet advise skipping the first two seasons. But there are gems in even the worst episodes of TOS, so I decided to trudge though.

Encounter at Farpoint

Maybe, like Spock, I have a thing for Captains. I got a big kick out of Picard, especially when he was annoyed, offended, or self-righteous---which was often because this episodes features Q. 

Q was as much fun (lots) as I've been led to believe, and though I'm not usually charmed by villians, he dazzled me a bit, especially when he appeared in a Starfleet uniform and made it look ominous.



Also, I felt he was a needed force of malice to balance the noble Enterprise crew, whose parading of humanity's worthiness makes you question humanity's worthiness. DeForest Kelley's moment with Data was a highlight, and I wished Admiral McCoy would stay to complain about things.

At first look, TNG appears to give its crew less to complain about than TOS. Men can wear mini-skirts, and there's a therapist on the Bridge. But there are enough cracks in this happy family to make it interesting.

The most noticeable crack is the Captain himself. He's aware of being perceived as "harsh" and "cold blooded", but this only seems to concern him so far as it affects his command. He enlists Riker to make sure he (Picard) "projects an image of geniality", as if it's a terrible but necessary part of the job.

And those reclined bridge chairs may look like Lay-Z-Boys, but don't be fooled! Holding your head up like that will give your neck hell, I guarantee it.



 Deanna Troi is a sorry excuse for a character, and I can't wait til they kill her off in episode 6. If only.

Overall, I hesitate to say I liked it. But Picard is too good to pass up, so I'll keep watching.

1 comment:

  1. I like reading you describe TNG far more than I like TNG itself.
    More, please!

    ReplyDelete